For the third year, a variety breweries, from well-known brands to smaller ventures, earned awards in the annual Pa. Farm Show craft beer competition.
“After a year riddled with challenge, we were thrilled to see Pennsylvania breweries thirsty for competition as we launched the third annual Farm Show beer competition,” said Russell Redding, state agriculture secretary.
The Pennsylvania Farm Show is being held virtually from Jan. 9-16. This year, 22 craft brews from breweries in 10 Pennsylvania counties were judged.
Pennsylvania ranks No. 2 in the United States for number of barrels produced at 3.6 million, according to the Brewers Association, a trade group.
Those interested in sampling the winning brews can visit the Pennsylvania Farm Show Trail, an interactive map featuring commercial exhibitors and PA Preferred members who exhibit at the Farm Show.
Categories and winners in the competition are as follows:
Light Lagers and Ales
- Lionshead Pilsner- The Lion Brewery, Wilkes-Barre in Luzerne County
- Lyte Done Ryte- McCall Collective Brewing Company, Allentown in Lehigh County
- Old Mauch Chunk Lager- Conyngham Brewing Company in Conyngham, Luzerne County
- A Beer For Dad- Moo-Duck Brewery, Elizabethtown in Lancaster County
- Amber- Boom City Brewing Co., Williamsport in Lycoming County
- Bangor Slate Baltic Porter- Two Rivers Brewing Company, Easton in Northampton County
- Hunkles Dunkel- Warwick Farm Brewing, Jamison in Bucks County
- Hawley Hefewizen- Wallenpaupack Brewing Company, Hawley, Wayne County
- Carter- Pour Mans Brewing Company, Ephrata in Lancaster County
IPA (<7.5% abv)
- Goin Broke IPA- Pour Mans Brewing Company, Ephrata in Lancaster County
- Lehigh IPA- McCall Collective Brewing Company, Allentown in Lehigh County
IPA (>7.5% abv)
- Lionshead DIPA- The Lion Brewery, Wilkes-Barre in Luzerne County.
Stout (American or English Styles)
- Bean 2 Bean Espresso Stout- Dock Street Brewery South Philadelphia in Philadelphia County
- Wet Hop Farmhouse Ale- Wallenpaupack Brewing Company, Hawley in Wayne County
- Blackberry Rosemary Sour Ale- Conyngham Brewing Company, Conyngham in Luzerne County
Mixed Fermentation Sour
- Lady Juliana Flanders Red- Two Rivers Brewing Company, Easton in Northampton County
- Nova Goose- Allegheny City Brewing, Pittsburgh in Allegheny County
- Rum Stout- Warwick Farm Brewing, Jamison in Bucks County
- Spring House Saison Vermouth Barrel Aged- Olde Bedford Brewing Company in Bedford County
- Bedford Butcher Brew- Olde Bedford Brewing Company, Bedford in Bedford County
Fruit, Herb, Vegetable
- Cool Water Coffee Kolsch- Allegheny City Brewing, Pittsburgh in Allegheny County
- Last Raft Raspberry Wheat- Boom City Brewing Co, Williamsport in Lycoming County